Wednesday 1 February 2012

Shamim Sarif: I can’t think straight


I have seen this movie a while ago. On second viewing, I could get several other layers. It is a fantastic romantic story of two girls falling in love and rising up to the challenge of love. 
Tala, with Christian/Jordanian/Arab/Palestinian background (that is just to sum up the religious/political labels) and Leila, with Indian/Muslim/British background meet in London by accident. Attraction is swift, acting on attraction is swift too, aftermath a bit slower and more painful. 
It is in the nature of romantic comedy that you want it to succeed, you do cheer for them to end up together and when they finally do, one is indeed happy, especially when they talk about kids and Tala starts kind of using her background in a positive way. Watching this movie is like eating dark chocolate, it is sweet and good for the heart, although it is somewhat bitter. 
When I say romantic comedy, I have overused the term. The topic of falling in love for gays, doing your coming-out, it is still too sad and too burdensome. But I take any little sugar that is offered. 
I have especially liked the character of a maiden who spits regularly in the cups of Tala’s mother who incarnates pure evil in the movie. Dads are more sympathetic to lesbian daughters than mums. Fashion-label girls (a sister of Tala) are sad and cruel. Easy money is a poison and so is the political social image. I have adored the expression of Tala’s other sister who fell in love with a Jew in American college, I wanted us to start our own peace process! is what she says after they broke up. 
An excellent treat for any heart-broken gay person, who still wants to believe that true love is something worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment